Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nodge wrote:
No, I only put the tape on the thread.

The thread has no sealing effect on a compression fitting.

I'll try unscrewing the nut and putting tape on the olive. I would think
this would only give a seal between the mating surfaces of the nut,
valve body and the olive. I suspect the leak is between the olive and
the copper pipe.

The seal is between the olive and the pipe, and the tapers on the ends of
the olive and the corresponding ones on the fitting. If there is any
damage to these - deep scratches etc, it won't seal. Worth also looking at
the tapers on the fitting to make sure they have actually been machined -
I've come across one that wasn't.

--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.