Set Square

Dave Jones wrote:

"Nodge" wrote in message
Just been doing a bit of plumbing in the bathroom. I've fitted a 15mm
isolator valve in the feed to the wc. I suspect the copper pipe is
the old imperial 1/2" dia but I understood that the 15mm fitting
would be ok. I've tightened the nut on the isolator valve as much as
I dare but I've still got
a small leak. It seems to be coming from between the pipe and the nut
rather
than from the threads of the nut. (I put PTFE tape around the
thread). What's the best way to get a watertight seal?

Nodge

PTFE tape should be put around the olive not the thread, after all
it's the olive that seals.

Dave Jones

I know that people *do* put PTFE tape round olives - even though it's really
meant for sealing tapered thread joints. For difficult compression joints, I
prefer a smear of Boss White or Plumbers Mait round the olive.
--
Cheers,
Set Square