Mike Mitchell

Default Urgent! Little flies on fresh paint

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:28:23 +0000 (UTC),
(Dean Heighington) wrote:

anonNO TO SPAM wrote:

I have my Hall, staircase and landing to do - What a very good reason why I
shouldn't do them at the moment! I have been trying to think of something
;-) Only problem is I might be told to paint it all black :-{

As in the Fast Show's "Johnny"?

"It's BLACK, allllllllll BLACK!!!"

Alternatively, if they like pure brilliant white, you could always
set up a decoy, such as white sheet, or large piece of cardboard
– that'll fool em, paint it and they'll stick to that instead

I thought of exactly the same thing! But then, how would they tell the
difference between a piece of white-painted hardboard and a door jamb?
I also thought of switching on a fan, so that they would not be able
to compete with the rush of wind and would go somewhere else. But
would one have the fan directed *at* the painted area or away from it?
If the fan were facing towards the work, then the flies might get
helped on to it - the ones that didn't succumb in the vortex. If
facing away, the flies would tire themselves out, battling to get past
the almighty draught, so facing away sounds like the best idea.

Actually, the paint is touch-dry now and it's proving quite easy to
gently brush them off with the rough edge of a rag!

MM