Grunff

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

If they wanted to up stick (which I still recon was their end goal, for
distribution reasons) they should have been open about it and not try and
blame local planning regs etc.

But the planning issue was at the very least one of the factors in their
decision; most likely the major factor.

There are big problems with relocating an operation of this size,
recruiting and training a new workforce is a particularly big one. It
isn't a decision that is taken lightly or on a whim.

There is a big problem with planning in the South West, where there
seems to be a focus on 'keeping it pretty for the tourists at the
expense of real industry'. I find this incredibly annoying, since it
stifles business and increases the region's reliance on tourism. Relying
on tourism as your major industry is a) extremely dangerous and
unstable, and b) a terrible long term strategy which can only lead to
the region's economic decline.

--
Grunff