:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"IMM" writes:

Yeovil is not exactly in the boonies. The amount of business they

generate
would make little difference in location as order volumes would be

going
all areas of the UK.

What?
The spending power of 520 people in one area being cut
will likely be the end of many other local businesses.
I would also imagine Screwfix are likely to have sourced
many products/services locally, and those businesses will
lose out too. The local economy has probably just lost many
millions per year of revenue directly and indirectly from
the loss of Screwfix.

I'll re-write:
Yeovil is not exactly in the boonies. The amount of business they generate
would make little difference in the location Screwfix is, as order volumes
would be going to all areas of the UK.

Let's say, an extra hour for an artic to go from Yeovil to the north east

is

I suspect IMM has, like many other things, little if any real knowledge of
the 'parcel' distribution industry if he thinks that the difference between
a parcel being sent from Stoke and a parcel sent from Yeovil to the north
east is only an hour !..

not worth talking about. The location was not that important as Yeovil

was
fine. If they wee in Lewis or Lands End then they may think again. The

Err, well I know were both Yeovil and Lewis are and have been to both more
than a few times, Yeovil is far more of a problem distribution wise than
Lewis.

fact that they applied to expand in Yeovil proved they never thought

Yeovil
out of the way. If they are moving elsewhere, then one more central to

the
customers is better.

That is the baffling thing, if they though that Yeovil was not a problem why
the sudden move up north, I still believe that a move was on the cards -
unless they could wrangled the planning decision to do as they pleased (and
thus save a shed full of money literally !), irrespective of local planning
policy, in their favour on the backs of 520 jobs...