IMM

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
As I understand it they had little choice - the local council would
not grant planning permission for expanded premises or allow new ones
to be built.

The trouble was that they wanted to build on a site in open country

outside
the developement limit.

They can always make an exception when assessing the benefits of such a
move. The urban footprint of the UK is only 6.6%, it is not as if we don't
have enough subsidised land to make beneficial use from.

Screwfix also said that a central England location
would be more efficient.

Yeovil is not exactly in the boonies. The amount of business they generate
would make little difference in location as order volumes would be going to
all areas of the UK.

This is another case of planning system that does not serve the people,
stupid planners and a bloody-mindedness resulting in a community shooting
itself in the foot, as what happened at Vauxhall in Luton. No cars are made
there anymore because they could not expand the plant onto available land,
so they went abroad.