The Natural Philosopher

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

IMM wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

What an amazing house! Since I once lived in Germany (for many years)
and am always ready to support the Germans against a lot of the
criticism from British xenophobia, how good it was to see a crack team
of ordinary German workers demonstrate how super-efficient they are.
As the client said, we should feel ashamed that both the cement lorry
and the crane were incredibly late, typical of our often slapdash
approach to commercial enterprises.

But those brand new Huf vans! I'm pretty sure they were purchased by
Huf especially for the show - and why not?

No they were not. That us how Huf do it.

This was a kind of free
advertising/promotion that could be worth hundreds of thousands of
euros, and they set out from the very start to make a very good
impression on British viewers, which I'm sure they achieved. I was
surprised when the one German guy said that Huf had already built 20
houses in the UK. Maybe we should invite other builders from other
countries to come here more often, if only to chivvy our domestic
building fraternity into adopting some quality standards like the
Germans obviously have done.

John Prescott is attempting to force the UK construction industry into a
similar type of design and efficiency. He will need to use that left hook a
lot to even get the cowboys to look.

He won't succeed until the education system scraps 90% of the so called
'unis' and starts reintroducing technical and vocational colleges that
teach something of some use, and make the actual qualification reflect
some real acquisition of skill and experience and even knowledge and
understanding, rather than a certificate of having wasted public money
for three years...