Chris J Dixon

Default Diverter Valves

A word for the unwary, unless it is just me

For my new bathroom (OK I'm not fitting it myself) I asked for a
diverter valve to send water from the thermostatic mixer to
either a wall shower, bath side hand shower, or a bath filler.
That is to have one input and three outputs.

Sounds like you might need a 3-way diverter. WRONG! The 3-way
only has two outputs, for 3 outputs you need a 5-way (who decides
this stuff?). Luckily Bristan are reasonably local, and we
swapped it without losing too much time.

Trying to find out where I went wrong, I've checked the web site
again and under "Prism pick and mix showers" (don't try
searching, it doesn't seem to work) they show:

2-way "Allows water to divert from fixed head to adjustable riser
or shower handset " Sounds logical.

3-way - no technical notes. I now know that this has four ports,
two of them inputs, one to be blanked, and two outputs.

5-way - no technical notes. I now know that this has five ports,
two of them inputs, one to be blanked, and three outputs.

Can anybody see the logic here?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK