Martin Angove

In message ,
"Tom W" wrote:

I'm in exactly the same situation (in Leeds) - but am one step further on as
I have installed the new CU and bonding etc.

I contacted British Gas (my electricity supplier)

[...]

Anyway, they sent someone out to sort it out (this was before I had the
consumer unit and bonding done) and they looked at it and said "there's
nothing I can do - there's nothing to attach the new earth to". Fair point,
I suppose, as I hadn't got an earth block at that point and they weren't
going to provide me with one.

That's interesting. Down here with Western Power they *won't* attach
your earth. Instead they attach a short "tail" to the cutout and put a
chunky black box on the end with chunky terminals in it. There's room in
there for (if you need it) three additional cables of up to 25mm2 (I'm
guessing there, but 16mm2 is a very easy fit). In other words, it
matters not whether you've already done the rest of the work, PME can be
"made available" for you to use when you're ready.

Up in Derby, they connected my dangling G&Y without bother.

Of course, for PME they have to do the external loop impedance test
first - if the reading is too high they physically can't give you an
earth and you'll have to make other arrangements.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... "Bother", said Pooh, as received his telephone bill