geoff

Default IMM fodder

In message , PoP
writes
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:45:14 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

IIRC war was never declared over the Falklands - hence why it was always
the Falklands "conflict" and we never struck directly at air bases etc
on Argentine soil.

You may be right.

Having said that I am not too bothered about the Belgrano - sail a
military ship in and out of an exclusion zone during a conflict and you
have to be asking for trouble.

Spot on. During my HP career I visited Northwood one time, and was
taken into the depths of the place - it's like a tower block built
upside down, you go in at the top and proceed downwards. It's where
the UK navy is controlled from (AIUI). Able to withstand anything but
a direct nuclear hit.

It's the operational centre in the event of war. It's where "the button"
is so to speak
--
geoff