Ed Sirett

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:03:33 -0700, JE wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Erm by "connector strip" I acutally meant chocolate strip. ( Ill get
the terminology one day. ) Glad to know that I wasnt going completely
crazy with the G&Y wire on Terminal 3. Thanks for making me a little
more confident in my elecrical knowledge. BTW, the fused switch I
mentioned does contain a 3A fuse.

OK that's encouraging.

FYI, the boiler is a Potterton Netaheat 10-16. And the controller
setting seems to be set to 16 (and not 10) by my judgement (of both
the twisty control on the right and the sliding switch on the bottom).

OK in which case there is likely two zone valvesa and a cylinder
thermostat elsewhere.

As im in the middle of refitting my kitchen, Im taking the time to fit
the new controller and patch the bad plaster around the old, which
prompted this whole thread. With the kitchen stripped bare, now might
have been the time to replace and fit a new conventional boiler, but
it would cost about 2k to buy and get fitted, which seems alot
considering the Potterton Netaheat seems to be working fine.

Yes I have many customers with a Netaheat The units are fairly efficient
and very reliable. The arguments for replacement are ambiguous with only a
10-15% saving likely in gas bills the pay back period is lengthy.

Ive not had the boiler serviced since i moved in 2 1/2 yrs ago - is
this something I should sort out ASAP, in your opinion (and then
serviced at what intervals )?

All official sources are going to tell you the boiler should be serviced
annually and if you rented your house this would legally be required.
I would say an annual safety check and expect to do a major service
every three years.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk