Ed Sirett

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:14:33 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:44:33 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

"VisionSet" wrote in message
I'm about to start the last major upheaval in my house.
Replaceing the ancient back-boiler.

I'll add a little more detail maybe you two can agree on something ;-)

House is 3-bed semi. 1 bathroom/toilet (ie one room). 6 rads + 1 teeny
one.

So the upshot is that nowadays combis are worth considering?
I'm think that when I had a look 6 years back that wasn't so much the case.

I am going to do all the work myself though get a corgi chap in for final
gas hook up to maintain boiler guarantee - that is the case is it not?

mains flow is 19.8 l/min - I guess that is okay.

Should be fine.

One issue that concerns me is reliability of a combi - my back boiler gets
next to no service and is 30 years old - glowworm model I'm finding it
excellent value! okay so it isn't quite the efficient boiler of today. Have
combis got more reliable of late?

I'd defer to Ed Sirett, John Stumbles or John Boilerdoc on that one
since they have regular contact, and raden because his company fixes
boards and supplies spares.

Like anything if you buy a decent one then results should be good.
Generally boilers of German origin or design seem to fare well.

Whilst your existing boiler is nigh on indestructible [1]. I think
it is fair to say the combi boiler is no more unreliable that
other modern high-tech boilers. Modern boilers especialy combis
incorporate many of the components which were spread out around the rest of
the house in a conventional system.

Reliability is not a consideration when deciding combi or not.
Modern boilers probably save enough gas to cover their higher repair
costs.

[1] My own did not even
burn out a thermocouple in 14 years. However I had to deal with a scaled
shut float valve at least twice, an over-flowing header tank at least once.
Also 2 pumps.
The usually reason for the death of a back boiler is severe corrosion due
to installation errors or themrostat failure leading to excitement and
consequent loss of customer peace of mind.
They also are some of the most inefficient designs of boilers in use. So
you have been paying for its 'upkeep' with +25% (or more) on your gas
bills.
In my own home we have gone from £480 to £350 for the year.
GlowWorm Galaxy BBU to Keston C25 + tank and wall thermostats.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk