Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:17:42 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

I had a phone call earlier from a woman who already rang me a couple of days
ago for a price. She is obviously trawling round everyone in the book trying
to shave off the last penny. What she doesn't want to be educated about is
the quality of the equipment to be installed. Now we could do a typical
"cheap" job, with contractor equipment etc, but then she will be back on the
phone complaining about it. Why bother, let the cowboys have the hassle,
they come and go, we have been around since 1986 and intend to be around for
a long time to come. Makes you think the business must be running correctly?

I couldn't agree more. In your business, I think that you would have
to run that way to be able to staty in business and give good service.

I used a professional antenna installation company a couple of years
ago on a T&M basis, based largely on references of commercial work
that they have done. They will also do fixed price installations
of UHF antennas and Sky dishes at two levels. One being the basic
version using contract materials and the other being a good
installation using better materials, much more care over cable routing
etc. With job prices typically being under £200 a time, even for
the good stuff, it's not economic to call and give quotes.

Your observation seems to be a common rule of business. Those
customers who want to nickel and dime are always the ones who are the
biggest PITA afterwards.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl