IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:19:43 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

I'm about to start the last major upheaval in my house.
Replaceing the ancient back-boiler.
The whole project may involve most of these:

Move or remove Water tank. I don't want it where it is it is in the way

of a
subsequent minor loft conversion/over stairs mezzanine.

Move or remove water cylinder from landing to a cupboard in 3rd bedroom

or
loft. Mainly for the same reason as above.

OK. This gives you the choice of

a) combi boiler (can be DIY install with notification to Building
Control)

b) pressurised sealed HW cylinder (must be professionally installed)

c) heatbank. ((as (a))

and:

d) Two cheap combi's to give excellent flow rates and give CH zoning of
pone boiler doing upstairs and one downstairs. Cost effective.

These all involve using mains cold water, so the first thing to check
is that the mains flow at the kitchen tap is adequate. Time filling
a bucket and calculate. If it's less than 20 litres/min as a rule
of thumb then you will need to upgrade the pipework if need be to the
street or all of these will be disappointing.

Install new boiler in 1/ under stairs, 2/ in loft 3/ somewhere else.

Though
exhaust of 1/ may interfere with subsequent garage updgrade at future

date.

You can get around that. Quite a number of boilers can use pairs of
50mm high temperature plastic waste pipe which can be routed over long
distances to avoid this issue.

Finally new gas fire in lounge to replace back boiler.

These are the major considerations, how else do I choose Combi boiler or
stored water?

If you have the space for a cylinder or a heatbank (similar sizes)
then this will give far superior performance to a combi.

Depends on the hot water demands. An Alpha CB50 combi will give excellent
performance with using only one bathrrom. How many bathrooms?

Current shower is balanced gravity fed which is newish in a new bathroom
that I don't want to upset - though I would like to improve shower
performance possibly in conjunction with raising water tank since I need

move/replace it. Alternatively a combi boiler would give the needed

extra
pressure or I could add a pump?

This would all depend on the cold mains and the performance of a
combi. You can get combis that will give 18 litres per minute of
shower temperature water.

You can use a pump together with a gravity tank but not on the mains.

As you can see I have so many variables it is hard to pin any of them

down?
Where do I start?

Check the water supply before anything else. THis may dictate what
can and can't be economically done.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl