Tom W

I'm in exactly the same situation (in Leeds) - but am one step further on as
I have installed the new CU and bonding etc.

I contacted British Gas (my electricity supplier) who - eventually -
understood that I needed a proper earth system and agreed (verbally) that it
was their responsibility and they would do it for free. At one point they
even described it as "an electrical emergency" - which was putting it a
little melodramatically.

Anyway, they sent someone out to sort it out (this was before I had the
consumer unit and bonding done) and they looked at it and said "there's
nothing I can do - there's nothing to attach the new earth to". Fair point,
I suppose, as I hadn't got an earth block at that point and they weren't
going to provide me with one. So I waited until I'd done it myself, and then
got them back out again. (Incidentally, it's Meter Plus who they send to do
their work).

This time, they said "can't do anything for you - you've got an old knockout
[I think that's his terminology] and that needs replacing before I can do
anything. Anyway, I wouldn't do it for my pay 'cause they expect you to work
on the system live". Fair point again, but I still don't have an earth. He
said he'd pass on the request for the new "knockout" to be installed,
estimated 7-8 weeks. Then, he'll send someone else to do the earth.

So, it seems they will do it, but as for when, your guess is as good as
mine.

Tom

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
chris French wrote:

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Does he just make all his connections, then contact supply co. to

come
and make the final earth connection?

Yes, provided the supply company has agreed to provide one. Otherwise,

it is
earth rod and 100mA time delay RCD time.

He had one go a while back, but couldn't get them to talk any sense.

He explained (or tried to) what he was planning on doing, and any
specific requirements etc. from them, but all the person he spoke to
could do was witter on about getting an electrician in, that the
electric's in the house were nothing to do with them. I don't think they
really understood what he as talking about.

You need to find out who the actual supplier is - i.e. the people
responsible for the infrastructure in the area, not the people he pays
the bill to. Around here (South Wales) it is Western Power Distribution
and their number is in the phone book. In Derby it used to be East
Midlands Electricity and their number is still in the phonebook (use the
"new supplies" one) but the actual company involved is something else
altogether now - a name I've forgotten.

Western Power will often provide a PME terminal for free, if the local
supply is capable. The people who have just done this for me in Derby
wanted forms filling in and a fee of £75.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it is a case of finding the right
people to speak to.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
... I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing.