chris French

Default Earth bonding at Consumer Unit.

I've been helping a friend sort out some of the electric's in their
house.

They are at the stage of installing a new CU, bringing all the earth
bonding up to scratch and then sorting out the main earth connection.

They are installing the new CU in a new location to a bit to get more
space (to the other side of the wall from the meter and current
fusebox).

Main earth bonding to the incoming gas and water services is being
renewed, but we weren't sure where to terminate this - run it back to
the CU or install some sort of earth terminal near the meter and then
run the bonding cables, and the earth from the CU back to there. The
latter makes more sense to me, but I can't see it really matters.

Re the earth connection, currently the installation has been earthed
via the lead mains water pipe, once the works are done, he intends to
get the earth connection made properly by the supply co. The supply
presumably dates back to the late 1930's when the house was built and
that the earth would likely be TN-S (underground supply, in town).

Does he just make all his connections, then contact supply co. to come
and make the final earth connection?
--
Chris French, Leeds