Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:01:36 +0100, "Tom"
wrote:

It's a Bungalow, and because of the layout of the dwelling we hardly ever
use the front door in practice.

OK, so I would suggest positioning the thermostat away from areas
where there can be sudden increases or decreases of heat such as the
kitchen or if you have supplementary heating, the living room.

Since my query I found the specs on the honeywell DU145 and whereas they
claim that it is designed to operate as a boiler bypass *or* where radiator
thermostats are fitted, the curves they publish are very flat indicating
that they open over a very small pressure change, in the absence of detailed
info on the actual pressure variations which occur in a typical TRV domestic
CH system it's difficult for me to make a reasoned judgment.
Are you aware of any other Automatic Bypass Valves which have steeper
curves.

I am pretty sure that all are fairly similar. Danfoss is another make.

Thanks Andy, would you agree that the Alpha might induce condensing
conditions in my standard boiler, assuming that thermostats and TRV are
susceptible to frequent adjustments in my household :-(

I think that it's unlikely provided that you set the boiler thermostat
high enough.

I would take it one step at a time.

- Give the system a good clean out as you fit the TRVs.
This is a good opportunity to take the radiators outside and give them
a good hose through. Don't forget to note the lockshield valve
positions.

Afterwards a flush with a system cleanser is a good plan - run hot for
the recommended period of time.

Flush, Refill and add inhibitor.

- Balance the non TRV radiator so that the TRVs are starting to close
as the room thermostat cuts off the boiler.
You will know the rough point because if the boiler is cut off too
early, the other rooms will be too cool. If much later, the radiators
with TRVs will start to cool and the boiler will run for shorter
periods.

I would leave the pump unless you find that the system becomes noisy
as the TRVs are starting to close. You will know if the existing
pump is a problem if you find that it gets noisy and you have to turn
it down but that on that setting when all TRVs are open, the boiler
runs for short periods.

The other thinkg is that you won't really be able to do this until the
weather turns cooler.

Cheers
Tom

..andy