Rick Dipper

On 18 Sep 2004 14:06:13 GMT, wrote:

What's the typical ratio of floor area to total area of a house?
E.g.if my house has a total area on the ground of, say, 150 square
metres what's the actual usable floor are of one storey? Is it 10%
less, 20% less or what? I realise that it will vary significanlty
according to size of rooms, thickness of walls, etc. but there must be
a 'ball park' figure one can use to estimate the floor area.

Also, does anyone know what the area quoted as the size of French
houses is? I know it's the total area of all storeys but is it:-

The total ground area times the number of storeys (i.e.including
wall and other 'lost' space).

The total area of all 'walkable on' floors.

The area of a specified set of rooms, excluding halls, etc.

In switzerland where they use the size to sprcify a house, its the
simple length * width, and round up a bit. It takes no account of
walls, doors, corridors. And if you have some space in the bomb
shelter or sharde use of the washer this is added in.

You also get 2 1/2 room flats, ie bathcupboard, bedcupboard with a
kitchen shelf on one side.

I guess france will be similar.

Rick