Andy Hall

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:27:36 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Really? We just saw an example of what can go badly wrong when
people who are supposed to either have been skilled or trained (it
doesn't matter which) use the technology.

We see far, far more of it in masonry houses with fully skilled people.

That wouldn't be difficult - far more are built.

Far more in percentage terms too, and all fully skilled tradesmen too.

Evidence?

That is all it is - a selling point. The reality differs.

and when things do go wrong, they are
expensive to fix.

Depends on what went wrong. Replacing one wall panel is easy. Some

can
be
patched up with OSB and foam injected.

Great for structural integrity.......

Ever seen a SIP? Of couse you haven't.

Of course I have. They are only foam and OSB, nothing magic.

You have only seen pictures on the web from web site I gave. Don't make
things up.

Nope.

For a successful outcome, all elements
have to be in place and work correctly.

Same with any construction method.

Exactly. Nobody claims that for traditional masonry or timber
construction that unskilled labour can be used.

No one is claiming that with SIPs.

Look at US manufacturer web sites.

They are not. they say that unskilled people can be trained up very quickly
on them. There are courses on how to erect them.

Clearly there can still be problems.

and that the construction goes together easily.
It doesn't,

It does go together easily.

So how come there were cases of several dozen houses with leaking
roofs and mushrooms growing through?

Does pride mean some baked clay
(bricks), light blocks and the rest
Paramount boards? My oh my. The
end result of SIPs is a house more solid
and robust than bricks.

For how long?

For ever. The oldest wooden structure in the UK is from the 11th century.

Yes, but it is not reasonable to compare something constructed
properly from hardwoods using skilled craftsmen with something made
from manufactured board and foam thrown together by unskilled labour.

We have a good idea of how long houses made from
traditional materials and methods will last.

These will outlast them. Traditional materials? Blocks are pretty as are
paramount boards. they make up a large part of a "traditional" house.

How do you know? How does anybody know?

This was said about the concrete tower blocks - a marvel of modern
technology. Now look at them.

The SIP houses in Kobe all survived
the earthquakes with superficial damage
while those around all fell down.

We don't live in an earthquake zone.

Your focus is poor. You have said SIPs are ticky tacky, when the opposite is
true. You have never been in a SIP house.

Actually I have, in the U.S.

Obviously one uses flexible
materials where there is a risk of earthquake.

Do you? Well SIP homes are taking off like wildfire in Japan.

Do they burn as well? :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl