Mary Fisher

"John Laird" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:56:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd always thought an alloy was a mixture of metals. Seems some
dictionaries reckon it's just a metal mixed with anything. And by that
definition, steel is an alloy.

Comments?

My preferred Chambers says "extended to mean a mixture of metals and
non-metals". I've always personally thought of steel as an alloy of iron,
the alternative nomenclature presumably being a mixture (it's not
technically a compound). Especially as many steels do contain other

metals.

All steels contain other elements.

Mary

--
She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something.

Mail john rather than nospam...