Andy Hall

On 15 Sep 2004 15:15:34 -0700,
(Lobster) wrote:

(adder) wrote in message . com...
"IMM" wrote in message ...
"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
What is the best inhibitor to use in this sort of system anyway? I was
going to get some more Fernox MB1 but it's a bit pricey (£19/4l).

No idea, I don't know what's in any of them. I use Fernox or Sentinel.
Corrosion is cheaper, in the short term..

Sentinel X-100 is far cheaper and just as good.

Some of the old combined pressure hot water & heating (i.e. the hot
water tank acts as a pressure vessel for the heating) types you're not
allowed to put inhibitor in because of possible contamination of the
potable water.

OP back again...

I'm now a bit confused as to which inhibitor I can use in my combi
system. I was going to buy one of those injector kits, but found a
Fernox one in B&Q for £26 so thought it was worth looking into
further, particularly when you can buy a 1L bottle of el cheapo Protex
stuff from Screwfix for only £3.59. What's the difference?

I gather Fernox and Sentinel are the brands to go for, for whatever
reason, and note that on Screwfix's site (
http://tinyurl.com/3l4ow),
Sentinel X400 is stipulated as being for indirect systems (combis are
direct, right? ie no h/c water storage, all water at mains pressure?)
whereas the Protex one isn't. Does this relate to potable water
issues as mentioned above? Have I *got* to buy the cheapo stuff, or
go to B&Q for a whopping £26 kit?

I've used Fernox products - originally MB-1 but more recently
Superconcentrate gel and Alphi-11 in various systems for over 25
years. I have never had sludging problems at all.

Ergo, I know that these products work.

I am certainly not going to fret over trying to save £20 every few
years when the risk factor in products that are unknowns and may or
may not be good in the long term is many thousands of pounds.

When a chemical is specified as being for indirect systems it refers
to those with a cylinder where the indirect aspect is because the
heating of it is via a coil. Therefore the primary and secondary
water never come into contact.

A combi is a different arrangement where a separate heat exchanger
inside the boiler warms the DHW directly. Again the two sets of water
are kept apart.

Sentinel have a good reputation as well. I would not attempt to
save a few pounds by buying an unknown brand with unknown means to
test its effectiveness. The saving is far outweghed by what is at
stake.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl