Lobster

(adder) wrote in message . com...
"IMM" wrote in message ...
"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
What is the best inhibitor to use in this sort of system anyway? I was
going to get some more Fernox MB1 but it's a bit pricey (£19/4l).

No idea, I don't know what's in any of them. I use Fernox or Sentinel.
Corrosion is cheaper, in the short term..

Sentinel X-100 is far cheaper and just as good.

Some of the old combined pressure hot water & heating (i.e. the hot
water tank acts as a pressure vessel for the heating) types you're not
allowed to put inhibitor in because of possible contamination of the
potable water.

OP back again...

I'm now a bit confused as to which inhibitor I can use in my combi
system. I was going to buy one of those injector kits, but found a
Fernox one in B&Q for £26 so thought it was worth looking into
further, particularly when you can buy a 1L bottle of el cheapo Protex
stuff from Screwfix for only £3.59. What's the difference?

I gather Fernox and Sentinel are the brands to go for, for whatever
reason, and note that on Screwfix's site (
http://tinyurl.com/3l4ow),
Sentinel X400 is stipulated as being for indirect systems (combis are
direct, right? ie no h/c water storage, all water at mains pressure?)
whereas the Protex one isn't. Does this relate to potable water
issues as mentioned above? Have I *got* to buy the cheapo stuff, or
go to B&Q for a whopping £26 kit?

Thanks
David