IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Imm wrote:
Use a wooden "I" beam, not over engineered steel.

See:
http://www.masonite-beams.se

I quite agree on not using an over-engineered steel. But, by
definition, the correctly chosen section in any particular location
will not be over-engineered. I suspect that the OP will find that a
127 x 76 UB, 13kg/m is quite adequate but would advise him to get
the calcs to confirm this from someone who is qualified (small 'q')
to do so. As to using a wooden I-beam I could not find any span/load
tables on the above site but generally would not advocate supporting
masonry walls off timber, even though this was done in past times.

In the USA it is common to support brick walls with TJIs.