Clive Summerfield

"IMM" wrote in message

"dg" wrote in message
k...
"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
Hi There

As a strict DIYer i would like to calculate the size of beam required

support a wall, when I make a 2m wide opening in a wall.

I am an engineer, but have been working in science for years, so don't

know
where to start!

Can anyone offer any help or advice?

Thanks

Andrew

There are various examples to be found by a quick Google. Try BS 5950

But a good general building reference book, which has some basic worked
examples is The Building Construction Handbook, by Chudley and Greeno.

Its
about £15 and well worth it

First you need to know the load that a beam of a given section can

carry,
then work out the load that it will be supporting. Once you have the
formula, steel section tables are available from Corus, and another

Google
on ' weights of building materials ' will get you the info to work out

the

Steel? get real a TJI "I" beam will do for most instances.

In the real world, price is always a consideration. Not sure what the price
of a 2m Trus Joist is, but a 14' 6"x4" steel beam cost me £35 about 2 years
ago.

Cheers
Clive