The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Barnes wrote:

Knowing what load is going to be supported by said beam would be one of
your prerequisites.

Is this a load bearing wall? What is is made out of?

It is a solid brick wall (single thickness) supporting a similarly sized
wall above. The joists upstairs run parallel to it, as do those in the loft,
so I assume there is no load from the floors on it?

The wall is between my kitchen and dining room, I wish to make a
kitchen-diner.

The calcs need to satisfy a building officer!

In that case just get a structural engineering firm to do the calcs.
They will be believed by the BCO and have professional indemnity
insurance if it falls down.

Thanks

Andrew