Owain

"tony sayer" wrote
| The RCD won't *ever* trip if you put your finger across live and
| neutral, it dosn't trip on that sort of fault.
| *Not strictly true, if you know how an RCD actually works. There
| will still be "some" leakage current through your body that does
| not go back via the neutral return so if that exceeds the RCD
| trip current, quite likely, then out she goes!.....
| Standing on a ladder on a wooden (probably) floor the leakage
| through your body to earth will be virtually non-existent.
| You'll probably have shoes with rubber/plastic soles as well.
| Don't you believe it!. Well if you do, then grab the mains in one
| hand and note the results.

I have done exactly this in the past, standing on rubber-backed carpet tiles
on a dry suspended timber floor. I vibrated gently at 50Hz and the RCD did
not trip. This was not a glancing touch as I was holding the L wire
intending to put it into a replacement socket faceplate.[1]

| Usual disclaimer don't they this at home unless by doing so you'll
| help the gene pool along.......

Glad I can do my bit for the gene pool without being forced into the messy
business of procreation :-)

Owain

[1] I pulled out the fuse and checked the first socket. Dead. Checked the
second socket. Dead. How the f'k was I supposed to guess the third socket in
the lounge was on the garage circuit (garage being on opposite side of
house, as well).