RichardS

wrote in message
I am coming round to the idea that I should replace my CU with a split
load type. However rewiring the kitchen to include a non rcd circuit
for the freezer, fridge and dishwasher is going to be a right pain.

Does the group have any views on whether having these on an rcd is
really going to be a problem due to tripping. If I am out of the house
on holiday for 2 weeks, I suppose there is a potential that the freezer
might turn off and ruin my food, but I would expect my insurance
company to pay out after the inevitable protracted dispute!

What are the items generally not rcd protected? assume this is lights
as mentioned previously, the alarm, garage (if separate protection
available), immersion heater due to potential earth leakage...are there
any others.

I'm very much in favour of individual RCBOs rather than split units.

Advantages are that you know exactly which circuit is causing the problem,
and that might help track down errant devices.

Also, a fault caused by use of an appliance outside (those wires just keep
dangling in the way of the hedge trimmer...) won't mean that you have to
reset all the digital clocks in your house & any IT equipment doesn't have
to suffer the indignancy of a rude shut-down.

Disadvantages being the higher cost and sometimes a larger CU (RCBOs are
often double width, though singles are available).

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk