tony sayer wrote:
Even if the shock is caused by you being between live and earth
the RCD only reduces the *electrical* effect to (hopefully)
sub-lethal levels. You will still get a jolt and if you are, for
example, on a ladder may fall off and injure yourself just as
badly as if the RCD had not been there.

Beg to differ.. as someone who was glued to a ladder due to lack of an
RCD(.

I really don't understand this on AC, I've never received a shock from
AC which has 'glued' me to anything and I've only ever heard anecdotal
evidence that this happens.

Presumably you became 'unglued' at some point or you wouldn't be here
to tell us about it! :-) Did you immediately try the same thing
with an RCD on the circuit and find that was alright?

--
Chris Green