Ed Sirett

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:50:39 +0000, Badger wrote:

Alan wrote:

The flue and ventillation are all fine. I've checked the input and burner
pressures and gas rate - all spot on.

On what basis do you state that the flue and the ventilation are all fine?

The flue has been smoke tested and draws well without leakage. Looking up
the flue, there are no blockages - you can clearly see the inside of the
terminal. The fins of the heat exchanger have been thoroughly cleaned and
again you can see clear through it.

The boiler is in a utility room on the ground floor with a suitable vent.
However, opening doors, windows etc. in the room or elsewhere in the house
has no effect. The vents on the boiler are clear and all the spacing
around the boiler is well in excess of the manufacturers specification.

The flames don't look too good - very yellow and look too big. All the
burners etc. have been properly serviced recently and this hasn't
fixed the problem.

who carried out the service and what did it cover?

A Corgi registered firm. Supposedly a full service. There are no deposits
on the burners. They also claim to have cleaned the insides of the burners
in accordance with the makers instructions. I've no reason to disbelieve
them.

I have no intention of tackling any of this work myself. What I want to avoid
is:

- paying another technician to do a full service, only for him to be "surprised"
when the problem still isn't cured.
- paying somebody to install a new air brick, then installing a new flue, only
for him to be "surprised" when the problem isn't cured.
- installing a new boiler simply because the problem can't be correctly
diagnosed.

On a related note, how should I expect a competent technician to set about
diagnosing this problem?

thank you for your responses,
Alan

Check the inlet side of the flue isn't blocked by leaves, birds nests,
vermin etc, anyone can get the burner to burn clean with the cover off,
but put it back on and you rely on the inlet. British gas never checked
mine and it went that way, pulled the flue from the wall and the inlet
was clogged with leaves....

This is a conventional flue not a balanced or fan assisted flue/duct.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk