John

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2004 17:10:46 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

I don't believe that it is a mandatory requirement for a CORGI
engineer to have one of these, but considering that they start at
about £200, there is no reason that somebody servicing boilers should
not have one.

It can't be mandatory -- I couldn't find a CORGI gas fitter who had one
when running through them in the Yellow Pages. I mentioned this to
Keston (having just fitted my Keston at the time), and the chap I was
speaking to agreed that they mostly didn't.

Somewhat concerning in a way.

I would agree with you but with reservations. There was very little point in
owning an analyser for the majority of domestic boiler work. The situation
is changing now since premix and modulating burners are becoming common.
The emphasis previously has been to ensure that any products of combustion
were correctly evacuated with no spillage or leakage from flue into room
space, and that combustion was basically correct as viewed by flame picture
and gas rate relying on the manufacturer making appliances to an agreed
standard in the\first place.
For commercial appliance service the situation is somewhat different and
personally I'd never go near a blown gas burner without a full spec analyser
its not possible to be certain that one of these is burning correctly any
other way - too little air = CO due to incomplete combustion, too much air
=CO due to flame chilling

Quite a lot of the boilers coming onto the market, especially those
with premix burners, seem to have use of a combustion analyser in the
setup procedure - typically that the emission composition should be
checked at low and high end and the gas rate adjusted to match the air
supply from the fan at the given burn rate.

BG seem to have them, although this seems to be mainly so that they
can just check the flue with the probe and pronounce the boiler OK
without taking it apart.

The BG analyser is often only a minimalistic job giving CO/CO2 ratio
readings and while satisfactory is not a full analyser
.
One day's visits and they've paid for the analyser comfortably.

Yup!