Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
"Lobster" wrote in message
Surely the answer is yes... but I've just had a plumber adding in and
moving
radiators etc. Near the end of the job I asked him casually 'so when
does
the inhibitor go in'? meaning of course, 'don't take me for a numpty, I
know you haven't put any in yet, so don't think you can get away without'
and he says 'oh no, you don't need that these days; you had to use it
with
the old vented systems but not with these sealed combi jobs. And anyway
there's no header tank to pour it into, to get it in the system'

As so often when I'm faced with an apparently experienced tradesman
telling
me that black is actually white, I just caved and left it at that
(despite
having personally injected inhibitor into a sealed system before using
the
special syringe provided with the stuff, so of course it's 'possible').
This guy has been a qualified plumber all his life (now in his sixties)
and
I'd feel very uncomfortable telling him he's talking b*ll*cks. But apart
from the syringe thing, is he? I suppose if no air can get in to the
water,
corrosion is less likely isn't it? I'd planned on just injecting some
inhibitor myself later without letting on, for a quiet life, but do I
need
to?

David

Taken from a Potterton installation manual I have to hand - sorry if the
lines are broken, I just copied it from Acrobat (the last line is the
important bit).

"For optimum performance after installation this boiler
and its associated central heating system must be
flushed in accordance with the guidelines given in BS
7593:1992. "Treatment of water in domestic hot water
central heating systems". This must involve the use of a
proprietary cleanser, such as GE Betz Sentinel X300 or
X400, Fernox Superfloc or Salamander System
Cleanser. Full instructions are supplied with the
products, but for immediate information please contact
GE Betz (0044 (0)151 420 9563), Fernox (0044 (0)1799
550 811) or Salamander (0044 (0)121 378 0952)
directly.

For long term protection against corrosion and scale,
after flushing dose the system with an inhibitor such as
GE Betz Sentinel X100, Fernox MB-1 or Copal or
Salamander System Inhibitor in accordance with the
guidelines given in BS 7593:1992.

Failure to flush and add inhibitor to the system will
invalidate the appliance warranty."

Alex

Oops, forgot to add that's for a sealed combi.

Alex