The Natural Philosopher

James H wrote:

I'm about to buy a new carpet for a new house with electric underfloor
heating. Am I restricted to looking at thin carpets and underlay? Or
does underfloor heating work reasonably well with most carpets?

Reasonably is the key. Carpets are good insulators and so is underlay,
but if the job has been done properly there will be a lot of insulation
under the UFH anyway, to reduce heat loss downrwads.

In practice, to get the same heating effect, the floor has to run
hotter. That doesn't necessarily mean it uses more fuel tho. To get teh
same heat 'loss' through underlay and carpet menas using higher floor
temps that's all.

I've got 5mm of plastic foam and 8mm of wood lamintae over mine. Not so
good as a tiled floor, but good enough.

thanks,

James