Norm Dresner

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:48:27 GMT "Norm Dresner" wrote:

See replies in-line.

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
.. .

I'm sure that with Jim William's help you could do a good job at this,
but the 200CD was really a very nice instrument by the time HP
discontinued it. I think it had a nearly 30 year lifetime, during
which it got many significant upgrades. If you have an early one,
there might be some reason to "rebuild" it, but I suspect that it
would be hard to do better than the late versions. Plus it would take
a lot less time to fix than to repair.

I'm not quite sure what the distinction you're making between "fixing"

and
"repairing". Please elaborate.

Oops, sorry, Mind fade. Make that fix vs. "rebuild."

Still, there are published schematics for Wein Bridge oscillators with
.001% THD and the hardest parts to find to implement a continuously
variable one are dual tracking pots or variable capacitors. The dual
capacitor in the 200CD looks to be "ideal" for putting into a modern design.
If I decide that the criterion for deciding which way to go is just the
quality of the result, there's no contest, solid state wins hands-down. If
it's effort, changing a few tubes can't be beat. But if it's the ratio,
quality/effort, then it's a much harder decision. But I'm coming up on
retirement very rapidly so the equation changes drastically ...

Norm