James Sweet

tons of parts each year.

In my experience, the manufactures parts departments only want to deal
with you if you are one of their authorized service centers (you have
an account with them and know the part number of what you want).

If you're an authorized dealer, they will grudgingly sell you
replacement parts (you have an account with them but they have to look
up the part numbers based on your description of the part).

If you're a consumer or independent repairman you're probably outta
luck. The manufacture will refer you to a dealer or service center.
The dealer or service center will then decide if they want to be
bothered ordering you the parts or service literature you need.

Sony and Pioneer don't seem to have this problem, I've ordered parts from
both companies without issue.