Bo S.

Default 33" computer monitor repair

Hi all,

I have a 33 inch monitor (glass crt) with vga inputs and outputs (it has a
vga passthrough so you can hook up a standard monitor). It is a Presenta
M33 presentation monitor. I really need to get this monitor working again.

I last used it about 2 years ago right before I moved. Well after I moved,
i had it stored in the garage during the winter and one day my buddy and i
decided to bring it in and fire it up and test it. It was out in the cold
and we brought it in and fired it up right away without letting it warm up
(i should have known better but I was anxious to get it running). Dumb
mistake.

Something popped and the monitor no longer has any power. I can't bare to
throw this monitor away since it is so perfect for a huge mame cabienet of
some sort (it will accept from 640x480 to 1024x768 but it looks like an
arcade monitor in picture quality) plus it has the best of both worlds
(arcade monitor quality picture with vga input/outputs). So i want to fix
it. I will bring it to a shop if i have to, but I'm not exactly rich and I
am very good at taking things apart, putting them back together, and quite
good with a soldering iron. So the repair shop is the last resort since I
don't want to spend 100-150 dollars to get it repaired.

Does anyone know where I could start to look? I'm thinking its the flyback
(it was too cold when i turned it on causing it to draw too much power??)
but i'm not that expereiced at monitor repair diagnosis. I am good at r&r.
I AM aware of all the dangers involved though (the high voltage dangers and
I know how to properly discharge a monitor), i have taken monitors apart and
I am well expereinced in soldering, etc. I also checked the obvious and
looked for any blown fuses and there aren't any.

Any help would be strongly appreciated.