the Squonk

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:24:30 -0400, "Wild Bill"
wrote:

Caig Labs DeoxIt product is excellent for oxidized switch contacts. I don't
use abrasives on any contacts (motor or relay contacts, or electronics
switches) because it degrades the surfaces.
I typically use a heavy paper such as file folder strips wetted with DeoxIt
to clean contacts.
Where the contacts are slightly rough or badly oxidized (or dirty) I'll use
the end grain of a hardwood swab stick or a pop-cicle stick cut with a long
tapered bevel.

Badly pitted contacts require replacement, particularly where they carry
larger currents in power applications. I don't put much trust in sandpapered
contacts, as they're reliability is questionable, likely to fail in ways
that could cause other problems.

Cheers
WB

Yes, excellent advice.

I don't know what the legal position is in other countries, but over
here you'd come un-stuck...

Power switches are classified as Safety Items and must always be
replaced by the correct item and never repaired. If - as does actually
happen, surprisingly often - the switch failed again and went on fire,
there would be legal and insurance implications. In the event of a fire
in apparatus I'd repaired for someone else, I'd be liable automatically,
whether it was a chargeable job or not; and in the case of equipment of
my own, it would open a large loophole in my insurance if the company
got wind of it.

I still keep my basic Public Liability Insurance up to date, just in
case...

TTFN

--
ajb