Asimov

"Sofie" bravely wrote to "All" (10 Sep 04 11:04:40)
--- on the heady topic of " Technical report on rabbits ears"

So From: "Sofie"

So "Eric" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was told

few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

So - - - - - - - - - - -

So Eric:
So Actually, since rabbit ears are an "open dipole" not a folded dipole,
So the impedance of a simple dipole is closer to a nominal 75 ohms.....
So and that is only the case if the ears are in a straight line and are
So not in a typically found "V" formation. Since rabbit ears are fed
So with a 300 ohm twin-lead and usually fed into a 300 ohm to 75 ohm
So transformer/adapter so it will plug into the 75 ohm "F" connector on
So the back of a television or VCR....... all of these mis-matches
So significantly reduce the efficiency on the whole operation......
So however..... since rabbit ears are usually only used in local strong
So signal areas all of these mismatches in reality are simply
So overlooked..... and can work surprisingly well in some areas. A
So "folded" dipole, similar to the cheap FM tuner "T" antennas, is
So optimally a 300 ohm device and are usually made entirely out of 300 ohm
So twin-lead including the nominally 5 to 6 foot long horizontal antenna
So element that forms a closed loop.... or "folded dipole." Some
So cheaper versions of the FM "T" antenna do not utilize 300 ohm twin-lead
So and are just a simple "open" dipole and are usually and properly
So connected to the 75 ohm terminals on the back of the FM tuner.

How about running a wire across connecting both ends together, then it
would behave more like a large closed loop (triangle?) and having
perhaps a better match it might even show some gain... not sure.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Bald spot? It's a solar panel for a sex machine.