Tweetldee

wrote in message
I'm burning up my Mitre Saw motor. How do I repair? It's a Ridgid
12", model MS12500.

Details: Was cutting three 2x pressure-treated boards at the same
time. After enough binding, the motor began to smoke. Now, it smokes
after 10-15 seconds of use, with no wood being cut at all. Has not yet
frozen, but expect it to fail soon.

How do I fix?

Yes, the motor in your saw is likely damaged. The insulation on the wire
used in the windings has probably burned and there are now shorted turns in
the motor's windings. The only cures are to (1) rewind the motor, or (2)
replace the motor.
You may not be able to see the burned insulation... it's probably deep
inside the mass of the winding. The heat builds up much quicker in the
middle of the mass of wire.

The current generation of motors is not built to take a lot of abuse, as you
have experienced.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in