Bob

"Rkola" wrote in message
I used a 3/4" Auger bit (fairly inexpensive at Lowes) in a 1/2" Hand held
drill. Worked great, but requires pretty firm control, since the bit is so
aggressive.

Well, I've gotten several good answers, including yours. So I ambled down
to my favorite woodworking store to have a look at all the offerings and
talk it over them, as well. I am assembling the benchtop in sections, so a
drill press is a viable driver and certainly my preferred approach for
accuracy. They had an option that I did not see mentioned here. Its a 3/4"
precision brad point drill bit with 1/2" shank. It will drill to a depth of
6 1/2". I decided to give it a go. It was $18.00. I'll let you guys know
how it works out.

Bob