mac davis

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:10:59 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I want to drill several 3/4" holes for bench dogs in a laminated workbench
top (prior to assembly) that will be 3 inches thick. My preferred approach
would be my drill press with a 3/4" Forstner bit. The bits I have will
barely hand 2 1/2" depth. I need suggestions for the deeper hole. Right
now, I'm looking at buying a good old fashioned Brace and bit. I'm sure
some will suggest drilling part way, than flipping over and drilling from
the other side. I don't feel that's a very precise operation, but if you
have a technique to do it, I am all ears.

Bob

I'm sure that you'll get more knowledgeable answers, but I ended up
using an Irwin 3/4" spade bit on my bench..

My neighborhood mentor said that forstner bits were for drilling
shallow, flat bottom holes... and I was drilling hole through 3 1/2 of
plywood and particle board, which I'd rather not use my good bits
for..

also, my forstner bits are very short (aka cheap) and the spade bits
come in several sizes, up to about 18"...
I bought 3 because I knew I'd chew them up drilling all those holes...
needed 2..

Mac