Mike in Mystic

I recently made a bench and did the same thing - 3/4" dog holes. I used the
following drill guide:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=

It's a bit pricey, but it was the only option for me to get the holes in the
middle part of my bench (I made 4 rows of dog holes to use with the Veritas
twin-screw vise). It worked extremely well. I used it in conjunction with
a 3/4" auger bit after starting the holes with a 3/4" forstner bit. It
wasn't really that tough.

Mike

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...
I want to drill several 3/4" holes for bench dogs in a laminated workbench
top (prior to assembly) that will be 3 inches thick. My preferred
approach
would be my drill press with a 3/4" Forstner bit. The bits I have will
barely hand 2 1/2" depth. I need suggestions for the deeper hole. Right
now, I'm looking at buying a good old fashioned Brace and bit. I'm sure
some will suggest drilling part way, than flipping over and drilling from
the other side. I don't feel that's a very precise operation, but if you
have a technique to do it, I am all ears.

Bob