Leon

I was going to suggest the extension but I think I would try the drill from
both sides approach.

If you use a forsner bit in a drill press you can insure a 90 degree hole
relative to the surface. Try using a small regular drill bit that will go
all they way through. Let that hole be your index point to start both top
and bottom holes. Test on a scrap..

Or Go as deep as you can with the forstner bit and finish the last half inch
with a new and decent quality spade bit. Those bits tend to be long enough
and when the point starts to come through the bottom, finish from the bottom
side to reduce tear out.

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...
I want to drill several 3/4" holes for bench dogs in a laminated workbench
top (prior to assembly) that will be 3 inches thick. My preferred
approach
would be my drill press with a 3/4" Forstner bit. The bits I have will
barely hand 2 1/2" depth. I need suggestions for the deeper hole. Right
now, I'm looking at buying a good old fashioned Brace and bit. I'm sure
some will suggest drilling part way, than flipping over and drilling from
the other side. I don't feel that's a very precise operation, but if you
have a technique to do it, I am all ears.

Bob