Robert Galloway

I handcut all the dovetails for the drawers of a desk. Not half bad if
I do say so myself. I agree with those who assert that that you can't
see (and isn't a shortcut that will shorten the live/durability of the
piece) has a place in the modern construction of "fine furniture"
IMHO.

bob g.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is like
using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master craftsman
(yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with using pressed
wood
as part of the construction.

I'll bet you don't use pocket screws either

I don't have a problem using anything that makes the job easier or faster.
IMO, non-visible accessories don't detract from the beauty of fine
furniture. I admire the guys that do hand cut dovetails. Maybe that is
because I can't do them and therefore appreciate the skills of those that
can. I've made a few pieces and have been proud of the fact that I did them
with no metal fasteners. Where I'd have a dowel exposed, it could have just
as easily been done with a screw that was countersunk and plugged, but I
chose otherwise. Better? Probably not, just more fun to do.

What is important is that you're enjoying the journey, not just the
destination. Keeping traditions alive is a wonderful thing.

I wonder what some of the old masters would do if faced with a modern shop.
Ed