Andy Hall

Default Slate floor products

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:50:22 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Stonell are in Paddock Wood in Kent -not a great distance from the
motorway.

They've got a "Stone Centre" near Wantage. I wonder if collections could be
made from there, rather than having to troop round to Kent? Not that I have
any problem with long drives.

You could ask. At the time, they had a centre in Guildford so we went
there,

What stone did you go for? Looking at the website, Indian Summer and Bamboo
look about right.

We have the Sheng Li. It fits well with the rest of the kitchen
environment - dark granite worktops, tumbled marble wall tiles, oak
furniture and joinery.

I would recommend buying a tile or two and taking them home. If you
can borrow or buy samples of the other bits you intend to use. Put
them together and look at them over a period of a few days.
You can reasonably simulate colour enhancer by wetting the tiles
lightly.

I needed more than 50sqm so this was a delivery job anyway.

10sqm shouldn't be too much of a problem, though? That's only a little over
100 tiles.

It's important to avoid significant steps at tile edges (it's a trip
hazard) but you will get small variations across the surface as a
result of the cleaving. These should be no more than 2-3mm on a given
tile.

I saw the ones in B&Q. They looked fantastic, but probably were just a bit
too rough for trip hazard reasons. I'd like to have a few bumps, though. The
more impurities the better. I want streaks of red and completely random
surfaces.

that was the attraction to me as well. There are quite a few plant
and animal fossils and imprints also, so I distributed those in
various places.

The main issue when laying is going to be removing the appliances from the
kitchen when I do it. I should probably wait for a nice dry period and stick
them outside. I will probably floor under where the integrated appliances
are to make for easier installation/removal.

We had this issue, although in our case it was a staircase that was
being replaced at the same time. It was dealt with by tiling in the
area involved using a faster setting adhesive that went off in a few
hours.

I would definitely tile underneath and go all the way back as well.
We selected tiles that were relatively free of bumps to go under the
appliances.

Christian.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl