mac davis

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:17:49 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is like
using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master craftsman
(yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with using pressed wood
as part of the construction. I know that no one will ever see it or even
know about it unless I tell them, but I'll know. If I needed to increase
the strength and/or help with alignment, I guess I'd be inclined to use a
cross-grain spline.

todd

I think it's a matter of appearances verses skill level...
I'd love to have the skill and knowledge to make things like dovetail
and finger joints, but IMHO, biscuits make the use of fancy joints
more of a trim or appearance thing than a necessary skill to assemble
projects..
I love looking at other folks galleries and seeing the contrasting
color joints and inlays, but I doubt that I'll ever develop the skill
or patience required for those... I guess they're what I consider
"fine" woodworking, a level I'll probably never reach..YMMV

Mac