John Moorhead

Mike -

I have the General Int'l mortiser and the Delta Tenoning jig. I built some
screen doors and found that the walls of the mortise cavity were not as
smooth as I would have liked - it was my first time using the machine, so
maybe it was my technique, but I *really* had to pay attention to keep all
of the mortise plunges in line. I had the work clamped to the fence, but
overall I'd say that the mortised "squares" varied by a bit more than
1/32... It took some hand work to clean things up, and they were blind
mortises, so the error was covered by the shoulders of the tenon, but
still... Not quite sure what I did worng. Perhaps I was trying to cut too
fast, tho' the mortiser never labored excessively and I didn't get any
squealing or burnign.

One thing I found is that it is CRUCIAL to have the back of the chisel
absolutely square to the fence when you install the bit assembly. I finally
just brought the fence forward and used that to index the back of the
chisel.

I have to build a mission coffee and side table group later this fall. I
have the wood, the tools and everything but the time to do it... rrrr...
Good luck!

John

"Mike S." wrote in message
. ..
I have the Shop Fox Mortiser and the Woodcraft tenon jig for the table

saw.
I've messed around with it a little back in the summer making some small
tables for the patio and they turned out ok with some trial & error. Now

I'm
in the process of building a Mission sofa table for my daughter out of

qswo.
Any of you guys have any tips, tricks or things to watch out for so I

don't
screw this up. I'm working from a set of plans I bought and it has all the
measurments but I know how things can go. Little tips & tricks the pro's

use
to make the job smoother.
Thanks, Mike

--