GerryG

Exactly the same? I'm not talking about a 600 grit touch up here. You may also
get chip-outs in carbide, which can't be fixed. I've taken old and badly
burned HSS bit and fixed them good as new. And yes, I have touched up carbide,
and most of my bits are carbide. I've even ground specific profiles on HSS.
GerryG

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:13:53 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Of course, there are some who clean the carbide and touch up the faces with
600 diamond file prior to routing, and sometimes during long runs. Process
is exactly the same as your HSS.

"GerryG" wrote in message
.. .
Carbide is needed to prevent burning? Would you care to elaborate on that?

Of
course you realize that, although it will hold an edge longer, carbide is

more
difficult to sharpen, and HSS bits will often take a better edge. That at

one
point, having trouble with some burning on a particular piece of cherry, I
switched from carbide to a freshly sharpened HSS bit and eliminated the
burning. And you know that the combination of speed, feed rate and depth

of
cut will have the greatest influence on burning. So, given that, what's

your
point on carbide?