Lurch

Default RCDs on outbuilding circuits

On 28 Jan 2004 03:11:27 -0800, (4-LOM) wrote:

Yes, that again. I've done lots of Googling and read the Which?
guide, but I still need some clarification, as the Regs (or at least
the way they've been summarised in the sources I've looked at) seem to
be ambiguous.

On the one hand, they say outbuilding circuits should have RCD
protection.

On the other hand, they say lighting circuits shouldn't have RCD
protection.

So what do you do about lighting circuits in an outbuilding???

All depends on what earthing system you have. (Cue long thread about
how to earth an outbuilding!).
Generally it easier to fit a 'garage unit' with a main rcd covering
the two circuits for lighting and sockets.
The other way is to run a non rcd supply to the shed, fuse it down for
the lights then fit rcd sockets.
As I said though, it all depends what earthing arrangements you have.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.