patriarch

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in
:

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is
like using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master
craftsman (yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with
using pressed wood as part of the construction. I know that no one
will ever see it or even know about it unless I tell them, but I'll
know. If I needed to increase the strength and/or help with
alignment, I guess I'd be inclined to use a cross-grain spline.

todd

Well, if it were just Norm, I could write it off to a trim carpentry and
construction background...

But David Marks uses them all the time. Worse yet, he uses them to attach
edging to MDF or plywood panels, some of which he has veneered personally.
;-)

And in some of the works of the Sainted Krenov, veneer over a stable
substrate is taken to a high art.

And many of the better works by artisans of an earlier day are veneered,
for wide range of valid reasons.

Solid wood has its place. But so do other constructions. Not all
furniture with engineered materials come from Walmart.

Patriarch