U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:54:46 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is like
using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master craftsman
(yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with using pressed

wood
as part of the construction.

Yes and no ... depends upon the application to me.

I personally would not consider biscuit joinery in place of traditional
joinery techniques on "fine furniture", but I have no qualms about using
them where one would normally use splines, or similar joinery methods, in
the components of fine furniture.

My use of biscuits in "fine furniture" is generally restricted to two
applications: on large panel glue-up for the alignment convenience, and
occasionally to strengthen miter joints where I don't want to use a visible,
or contrasting color spline, that shows.

Depends on what you're after too.

If you're after reproducing a traditional piece using traditional
methods, biscuits are out of the question, imo.

But some Normite projects . . . like NYW's entertainment center inspired
by an armoire. No one who knows period furnature would be "deceived" by
modern joinery and plywood in such a piece--you know no "original"
exists.

For modern pieces? *shrugs* Whatever works, taking into account the
goals of the piece.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (yes, really) gave me an idea for a piece
involving shelf brackets, though not used the way that week's victim
used them.